Friday, August 29, 2008

MODULE 2

DEVELOPING INNER STRENGTH
I – OVERVIEW
Did you already have an answer to the questions raised in your module 1 hand out? Is your life’s purpose clear to you now? Do you already know what you want to be in the future? Have you found your place in this so-called Earth? Or are you still wondering and in search for your identity? If that’s the case, you better go through with this module.
This lesson will tackle more about being you – your strengths, your talents, and God-given gifts. Do you believe that each one of us, including yourself, has a very special gift from God which others don’t have? If you do so, then discover it and enhance it for His greater glory by getting busy with this lesson.
II – OBJECTIVES
After studying and working on all activities in this module, you will be able to:

1.) find and develop self-confidence in talking and in facing the crowd;
2.) arrange details or events according to its sequence in the story;
3.) write a short paragraph about the things they do before death;
4.) express one’s feelings towards his father through script writing;
5.) use correct conjunctions in the sentence; and,
6.) gain inner strength by putting themselves to the shoes of the boy in the story.
III – INSTRUCTIONS
1.) Read each section carefully. If you have not read the first two sections, go over them first.
2.) Each module begins with a brief introduction or Overview followed by a list of Objectives you are expected to learn.
3.) As you work on the activities, try to relate them to the objectives of this module. What skill or strategy does the activity develop?
4.) After working on all the activities take the Posttest.
IV – PRETEST
Read the paragraph inside the box and answer the questions that follow.
CONQUERING STAGE FRIGHT
Many people are gifted with different talents but most of them are just a part of the audience on certain occasions. Their stage fright is the very reason why some are not stage performers. It is normal to experience stage fright according stage performers. Actors and actresses believe that you can overcome your stage fright by changing your perception about stage fright and by following basic tips, you can conquer it.
Try these tips to get you on stage without butterflies in your stomach.
PRACTICE. Constant practice makes perfect. You have to trust yourself. Self-confidence is the best way to control or overcome stage fright.
TALK TO YOURSELF. Instead of thinking that you will be forgetting some lines, or that you will not be able to pronounce the words correctly, think that you will delivering flawlessly, that you have talents to show, and that people will appreciate your extraordinary performance.
VISUALIZE. Picture yourself on stage with so many people listening as you do your part without committing PRACTICE WITH A SMALL AUDIENCE. After you have practiced your piece alone, you may invite other family members or friends to listen as you rehearse. Or prior to inviting other people, you may rehearse in front of a mirror for you to seethe needed improvements to your facial or body gestures.
Are you beginning to feel confidence as the curtain is about to unfold? Are you still nervous? If yes, don’t worry, that’s normal. Here are some suggestions to overcome nervousness.
YAWN. Our body needs oxygen to keep our muscles relaxed. Yawning keeps our tight muscles relaxed and breathing becomes shallow.
STRETCH. Just like yawning, stretching also helps muscles relaxed. Do some simple exercises like shaking your hands and feet, rotating your neck and head, then keep still until the spotlight hits you.
FOCUS ON THE FIRST FEW LINES OF YOUR PIECE. After you have delivered the first few lines, you will notice that your nervousness is slightly disappearing.
TRUST YOURSELF. Keep telling yourself that you will not make the audience notice it.
After your successful performance, you will realize that you can overcome your stage fright and face the even work to your advantage if you learn to overcome it. After that flawless performance comes another until facing big audiences becomes fairly easy.
After each performance and your audience is in standing ovation acknowledging your extraordinary performance, bow your head gently and be humble.
a single mistake.
By Nathaniel M. Casculan
Ref. English Expressways (Teacher’s Manual) pp. 27 - 28
A. VOCABULARY

Below are definitions. Read each carefully and find the words being defined from the paragraph above.

____________________1. one who fulfills, carries out, or gives a performance
____________________2. conquer; to make helpless or exhausted
____________________3. an act or result of perceiving; ability to understand
____________________4. to open wide especially to open the mouth usually as an involuntary reaction to fatigue or boredom
____________________5. to say again; repeat; to recount in order
B. COMPREHENSION

1. What is stage fright?
2. What happens when a person experiences stage fright?
3. What are the tips given by the writer to overcome stage fright?
4. What are some suggestions just before a person goes on stage?
5. Why is stage fright normal?
C. CRITICAL THINKING

1.) How do you prepare yourself if you are about to be speaking or performing in front of a crowd? How did you prepare yourself every Saturday?
2.) Is self-preparedness a guarantee to a successful performance? Support your answer.
D. GRAMMAR

Underline the Conjunctions used in the sentence.

1.) Martha is an executive and Donis is a software analyst.
2.) She prefers clean and fragrance-free soap.
3.) Not only is Cecilia kind, but she is also beautiful.
4.) Either Denis or Paolo will come along with you.
5.) I prayed for a miracle, but it did not happen.
6.) He came late although he knew what time he was expected.
7.) The watchmen went home because there was nothing to watch.
8.) Those boys act as if they own the streets.
9.) Try to do your task as you were told.
10.) The parade went on and the people cheered.
V – READING ADVENTURE
A. PRE-READING

Read the story below and find out who shows inner strength or courage.
A DAY’S WAIT
ERNEST HEMINGWAY
He came into the room to shut the windows while we were still in bed and I saw he looked ill. He was shivering, his face was white, and he walked slowly as though it ached to move.
“What’s the matter, Schatz?”
“I’ve got a headache.”
“You better go back to bed.”
“No. I’m all right.”
“You go back to bed. I’ll see you when I’m dressed.”
But when I came downstairs he was dressed, sitting by the fire, looking like a very sick or miserable boy of nine years. When I put my hand on his forehead, I knew he had a fever.
“You go up to bed,” I said, “you’re sick.”
“I’m all right,” he said.
When the doctor came, he took the boy’s temperature.
“What is it?” I asked him.
“One hundred and two.”
Downstairs, the doctor left three different medicines in different colored capsules with instructions for giving them. One was to bring down the fever, another a purgative, the third to overcome an acid condition. The germs of influenza can only exist in an acid condition, he explained. He seemed to know more all about influenza and said there was nothing to worry about if the fever did not go above one hundred and four degrees. This was a light epidemic of flu and there was no danger if you avoided pneumonia.
Back in the room, I wrote the boy’s temperature down and made a note of the time to give various capsules.
“Do you want me to read to you?”
“All right. If you want to,” said the boy. His face was very white and there were dark areas under his eyes. He lay still in the bed and seemed very detached from what was going on.
I read aloud from Howard Pyle’s Book of Pirates, but I could see he was not following what I was reading.
“How do you feel, Schatz?” I asked him.
“Just the same, so far.” he said.
I sat at the foot of the bed and read to myself while I waited for it to be time to give another capsule. It would have been natural for him to go to sleep, but when I looked up he was looking at the foot of the bed, looking very strangely.
“Why don’t you try to go to sleep? I’ll wake you up for the medicine.”
“I’d rather stay awake.”
After a while, he said to me, “You don’t have to stay in here, Papa, if it bothers you.”
“It doesn’t bother me.”
I thought perhaps he was a little lightheaded and after giving him the prescribed capsules at eleven o’clock I went out for a while.
It was a bright, cold day, the ground covered with a sleet that had frozen so that it seemed as if all the bare trees, the bushes, the cut brush, and all the grass and the bare ground had been varnished with ice. I took the young Irish setter for a little walk up the road and along a frozen creek, but it was difficult to stand or walk on the glassy surface and the red dog slipped and slithered and I fell twice, hard, once dropping my gun and having it slide away over the ice.
We flushed a covey of quail under a high clay bank with overhanging brush and I killed two as they went out of sight over the top of the bank. Some of the covey lit in the trees, but most of them scattered into brush piles and it was necessary to jump on-the-ice-coated mounds of brush several times before they would flush. Coming out while you were poised unsteadily on the icy, spingy brush, they made difficult shooting and I killed two, missed five, and started back pleased to have found a covey close to the house and happy there were so many left to find another day.
At the house, they said the boy had refused to let anyone come into the room.
“You can’t come in,” he said. “You must not get what I have.”
I went up to him and found him in exactly the position I had left him, white-faced, but the tops of his cheeks flushed by the fever, staring still, as he had stared, at the foot of the bed
.
I took his temperature.
“What is it?”
“Something like a hundred,” I said. It was a hundred and two and four tenths.
“It was a hundred and two,” he said.
“Who said so?”
“The doctor.”
“Your temperature is all right,” I said. “It’s nothing to worry about.”
“I don’t worry,” he said, “but I can’t keep from thinking.”
“Don’t think,” I said. “Just take it easy.”
“I’m taking it easy,” he said and looked straight ahead. He was evidently holding tight onto himself about something.
“Take this water.”
“Do you think it will do any good?”
Of course it will.”
I sat down and opened the Pirate book and commenced to read, but I could see he was not following so I stopped.
“About how long will it be before I die?”
“You aren’t going to die. What’s the matter with you?”
“Oh yes, I am. I heard him say a hundred and two.”
“People don’t die with a fever of one hundred and two. That’s a silly way to talk.”
“I know they do. At school in France the boys told me you can’t live with forty four degrees. I’ve got a hundred and two.”
He had been waiting to die all day, ever since nine o’clock in the morning.
“You, poor Schatz,” I said. “Poor old Schatz. It’s like miles and kilometers. You aren’t going to die. That’s a different thermometer. On that thermometer, thirty-seven is normal. On this kind it’s ninety-eight.”
“Are you sure?”
“Absolutely,” I said. “It’s like miles and kilometers. You know, like how many kilometers we make when we do seventy miles in the car?”
“Oh,” he said.
But his gazed at the foot of the bed relayed slowly. The hold over himself relaxed too, finally, and the next day it was very slack and he cried very easily at little things that were of no importance.
Ref. English Expressways III pp. 88 – 90
B. POST READING

Activity 1
VOCABULARY
Given are the definitions of the words found in the story you read. Read each carefully and find the words being defined in the story.

_______________1. not normal or sound; not in good health; sick
_______________2. a strong laxative
_______________3. to lay down as a guide or rule of action; to direct the use of (as a medicine) as a remedy
_______________4. a small inlet; a stream smaller than a river larger than a brook
_______________5. to slip or glide along like a snake
Activity 2

COMPREHENSION
1. What do you think of the father’s choice of the reading material for his son?
2. How does the father show his love for his son?
3. Why would a young boy behaved heroically in the face of death?
4. Who shows inner strength, Schatz or his father?
5. What is the conflict of the story?
Activity 3
Arrange the following events according to the sequence from the story. Use number 1 to indicate the first event, then 2, 3, 4, and 5 for the last event.

___1. Schatz understood that there are many kinds of thermometer and that each has different basis for normal temperature.
___2. Though he was sick, he still closed the windows of his parents’ room as his daily routine.
___3. The father read the book about Pirates.
___4. The doctor left three different kinds of medicine.
___5. The father shot a covey.
Activity 4

Complete the following sentences.
1. If I were Schatz and thought I was about to die…
2. If I were his father and saw the way Schatz looked and acted, I would…
Activity 5

Read each sentence carefully. Bear in mind the rules on Subject-Verb Agreement as you read each sentence. Choose which group of words or word makes the sentence grammatically wrong and write it on the space provided for. Choose NO ERROR if the sentence is grammatically correct.

___1. Your presence are unique and one of a kind. NO ERROR.

___2. Mrs. Alaras, together with her children, believes in friendship as a good investment. NO ERROR.
__3. Two-thirds of the students counts their blessings. NO ERROR.

___4. Economics are applied in everyday life. NO ERROR.

___5. One of the blessings from God are people to interact. NO ERROR.

___6. Either my father or my sisters tells me to hope for the good. NO ERROR.

___7. I, together with my friends, am able to resolve my problems through reflection. NO ERROR.

___8. Nobody wants to have heavy problems. NO ERROR.

___9. Troubles, including anger and hate, do not contribute to one’s happiness. NO ERROR.

___10. Many were happy to have their dreams realized. NO ERROR.
Activity 6
Conjunctions are connectors. Connectors that combine two equal sentences are called COORDINATING CONJUNCTIONS. Connectors that combine a clause and a sentence are called SUBORDINATING CONJUNCTIONS.
Underline the Conjunction used in the sentence.

1. Stella played the fiddle and Gina banged the drums.
2. I enjoyed giving parties but I hate cleaning up the mess.
3. We could look for seashells or we could swim in the ocean.
4. I can’t remember his name but I can remember his face.
5. Amy should return the book or she will have to pay a fine.
6. Carol raised her hand when a question was asked.
7. We couldn’t find the road because it was too dark.
8. They will play ice hockey if the lake is frozen.
9. I was resting quietly until a bee flew into my hair.
10.Vic fell asleep even though the film was exciting.
Activity 7
A. Use an appropriate Conjunction to join the two sentences. Choose from the given Conjunctions.
and
but
or
as soon as
because
if
1. The lesson was very difficult. The students enjoyed it a lot.
2. The teacher chose varied teaching strategies. She prepared interesting visual aids.
3. The students can work individually. They can join in a group.
4. The students do their activities inside the classroom. They can also explore places outside the school.
5. The students are exposed to the different situations in life. They are being prepared to face life’s realities.
B. Fill in the blanks with the correct subordinators given inside the parenthesis.
1. Jokes are corny _____ the punch line is well delivered. (although, unless)
2. Mr. Maverick usually washes his socks _____ going to bed. (before, after)
3. Therese thought of her best friend _______ cleaning her room. (when, while)
4. Our teacher tried to make it to class ________ he had a fever. (although, since)
5. The graphic artist has been working with his computer ___________ Friday. (since, after)
VI. WRITE THING
1. Develop 3 paragraphs by continuing the sentences below.
The things I am proud of myself...
The things I would like to do...
Things I don't like much about myself...
2. Write a prayer telling God the things you want to change in yourself and ask God the things you wish for.
VII. SPEAKING PRACTICE
/ ε / sound
To produce the / ε / sound, let the middle part of the tongue bunch forward while the tip of the tongue is against the back of the lower front teeth. Lips and teeth are slightly parted in a “half smile” position.
This sound does not occur in the final position.
Exercise 1
head
ten
etch
senate
tear
red
bread
/ æ / sound
To produce the /æ/ sound, put the tip of the tongue slightly upward and above the lower front teeth. The teeth are slightly parted while the lips are widely opened and stretched upward.
This sound is voiced so there should be vibration when it is produced. It occurs only in the initial and medial position.
Exercise 2
nap
package
gadget
grab
half
hammock
Activity 1

Read each word correctly. Group the words with their sound. Write it under the appropriate column.
camera
fell
bread
set
back
stand
band
head
hatchery
can
glad
rest
tramp
deaf
men
egg
beggar
crash
bath
hell
Activity 2
Read each word correctly. Underline the word which has a different sound from the rest.

1. match, hatch, fetch, batch
2. bag, land, sad, pest
3. tender, scent, sat, bed
4. nap, well, bell, present
5. manners, bear, cash, fact
6. eleven, tap cat, hat
7. wreck, said, hands, pet
8. rack, hen, add, man
9. gas, hence, am, fat
10. van, belt, yell, sell

Activity 3
Read each sentence carefully. Choose the right word in the parenthesis to complete the sentence. Underline your answer.
1. They found a new (track, trek) during their (track, trek) through the jungle.
2. She has a (knack, neck) for being everybody’s pain in the (knack, neck).
3. The man (said, sad) that the story made him (said, sad).
4. At the (band, bend) of the road, they found a (band. bend) of musicians waiting for the parade.
5. Don’t ever (pat, pet) a tiger on the head unless it is your (pat, pet).
6. That (slander, slender) girl looks too innocent to be accused of (slander, slender).
7. She needs a new (bad, bed) for his (bad, bed) back.
8. (Send, Send) the round table before you (send, sand) it to the buyer.
9. Can you (land, lend) me your hand so that I can (land, lend) a good job?
10.The man suddenly (laughed, left) when h learned that the girl had (laughed, left) him.
VIII. POST TEST
Read the story below and answer the questions that follow.
JUAN PICAS: THE BOY WHO LOOKED FOR GOD
Monina A. Mercado
I am Juan Picas, born half of myself. I had only one eye, one ear, one arm, one, leg, one half of a body. My mother wept when she saw me, but loved me as I grew up and never regarded me as abnormal. My father, too, must have wept, although he never spoke of this. He also took me as I was and loved me as much as he knew.
I grew in their care, I thrived in their love. As far as I knew, I was entire; I thought myself whole. Like all babies, I learned first to smile and then to coo, to babble, and know my mother and father, too. I learned to crawl and sit up and, in time, to toddle.
I learned to speak, but even before that, I learned to laugh. My mother taught me laughter, perhaps even before I learned how to cry. She showered me with good cheer and constant delight. She taught me how to sing.
My father taught me how to see. The birds of the sky, the trees, the flowers that grew, the rain that fell and the winds that roared in the night – these my father spoke of and made me see how perfectly they fitted into our world and made it as lovely as it can be.
My father also spoke of people, saying that they are on this earth and living life as in a test. All that mattered was a life spent doing good. A man should apply his days in work and by his hands, hone his heart in service to God and his fellowmen. Less than this in intent and in labor done, a man’s days are but in vain. My father said this, and I realized how he directed his day and how he wished my life to be.
My father often spoke of God, as did my mother. The father in heaven who made us and whose Will keep us alive. God orders our days from our birth, through our youth and manhood, through age and through death and the afterlife. He has the whole world in His hands, rules the beating of our hearts, knows the numbers of our hair, and loves us in everything whether good or ill befalls us. All of life’s roads lead to Him; the answer to life’s questions lie to Him; the meaning of life is with Him. My mother and father taught me this and I learned it.
So I grew up a happy child swathed in kindness. My parents sheltered me and keep me away from prying eyes. I did not know harshness, cruelty even less; until as a frisky boy I set out to explore the world on my own. When ridicule sprang, I was bewildered and asked my parents why other children laughed and poked fun at me.
I had no playmates, I would not make friends. The very young fled in fright. Children as big as I was when surprised had ebbed plied me with questions to which I could not reply. Some hooted, many laughed and called me at their kindest, odd. Some even threw stones – which always missed for they hit my missing half.
Other people stared, too, and would not believe their eyes. They whispered about me and spoke behind their hands. What monster is this? They cried. Who sired him? And who bore him in the womb? They must be cursed.
I could not bear to hear my parents maligned. Without wishing them pain, I knew I had to ask them why: why was I like this and not like the rest; why was I born with just half of me, and not one whole as the others are; and where, if they knew, was the other half?
My mother wept, unable to answer. My father bowed his head and held me close. He did not know the answer, either. He never thought to pursue the question, trusting that God knew what He was doing. He made me and gave me to my parents to love. My father said, however, that I wished I could go by myself and seek out God for the answers I was seeking.
I knew I was a grown boy and could take care of myself. Certainly, I could find the way to God and I was willing to journey where I must, spending days, nights, months – nay, even years – to find in Him my entire self.
I set out with my parents’ blessings. I traveled through strange countries, walked among strange men and creatures. “Where are you going?” they always asked. Is said I am seeking God to ask Him why I was born one half of myself and where was the other half.
Nearly everyone, when each one learned that it was God whom I sought, they, too, realized that they also have a message for Him that was a question like mine. I met a creature in the shape of a horse that was tethered with a short rope. He was hefty, but he wanted to know why his tether was short. Why was it not longer so that he could wander and go wherever he pleased. He was so skinny, his bones showing through. Why was he so thin and ugly? He entrusted me to ask this question to God.
At the crossroads, I met a man who spent his days ostentatiously doing good – helping those who were lost, burdened, or tired; feeding the hungry and giving drink to the thirsty; binding the wounds of those who were hurt and comforting those who wept. He proclaimed goodness and love and condemned those who did not do. What was his reward for such deed? He entrusted me to ask this question to God.
Finally, beside waterfall, I met a man who hid among the rocks and from there, robbed the unsuspecting and ignorant. He divested them of their possessions and if they had none, he whipped them in his fury, leaving them weak and wounded and poor. He knew he did wrong. What was his punishment? He entrusted me to ask this question to God.
After much traveling day and night, along smooth roads and on rough, running at times or stumbling along, covering miles in a day or going around in circles, my strength often fails me and my heart throbs with fear; but constant in faith, I, at last, reached God.
He was not like lightning or raging fire. Neither was he like a thunder nor whooshing like the wind. He was not blinding like the sun nor distant like the stars. He was gentle as an evening breeze that caresses my sleeping brow. He was certain like the voices I hear about me in my walking, at my work, and play. And He was real as the most ordinary events of everyday life.
I did not have to go far from where I was. In the most usual circumstances of my life, among those I knew and amid what I always did, there I found God. He was mirrored in my mother’s gentleness and in my father’s wisdom. I was not afraid to speak to Him. First, I asked the questions of the men and the creatures I met and then, my own. I learned from His answers that His ways and thoughts are not of men.
God said that the horse with short tether knew best how to make of his situation, and so he was hefty. The horse with a long tether did not profit from his instincts, so he was deprived of them. The robber by the waterfalls knew his wrong doings and seeing the error of his ways will make amends and reap his rewards with God. But the man at the crossroads who worked for reward, showing off his deeds, judging men and condemning those who did not do as he did, was a vain performer and did not really serve God; he had already reaped his paltry-sized prize and would not see Him.
And what is to become of me? I asked at last. Will I always be what I am? Do I serve Him, part of myself that I am, the other half not there?
God seemed to smile at my way. I heard Him say that He was glad I had come to Him at last. I had used my mind well, He said. I had followed my heart well, too. Didn’t I know that God rewards those who, in every way, seek Him through all their days?
Be whole, God said. Be one whole body. So it was. But now, as a reward for seeking God, I was whole at last, I sought and found. I journeyed and I arrived.

Ref. Exploring Life through Filipino Literature I pp. 23 – 26

A. VOCABULARY

Given are the definitions of the words found in the story you read. Read each carefully and find the words being defined in the story.

___________1. to grow luxuriantly; flourish; to gain in wealth or possessions; prosper
___________2. to speak evil of; defame
___________3. pretentious or excessive display
___________4. to look into or travel thoroughly; to examine carefully
___________5. to bind or wrap with or as if with a bandage
___________6. intense and often destructive rage; extreme fierceness or violence
___________7. to laugh at or make fun of mockingly or contemptuously
___________8. perplex; confuse
___________9. to stir up by prodding; hit; punch

___________10. to change for the better; improve

B. COMPREHENSION
1. Who is Juan Picas?
2. What was he searching for?
3. How was Juan Picas brought up by his parents?
4. How did Juan Picas find God?
5. Where did he find God?
C. ARRANGEMENT OF EVENTS
Arrange the following events according to the sequence from the story. Use number 1 to indicate the first event, then 2, 3, 4, and 5 for the last event.

___1. He finally had the courage to search for God and the answers to his questions.
___2. He, at last, found God and realized that God is in his everyday life.
___3. He met many people, who also have questions to God, along the way.
___4. Juan Picas was born half of himself.
___5. He was brought up by his parents with the love and care he needed.
D. CRITICAL THINKING

1. What does Juan Picas represent?
2. In what ways you are like Juan Picas?
3. If you will be given the chance to face God and granted for one question, what will you ask? Why?
E. GRAMMAR

Write TRUE if the sentence is grammatically correct and FALSE if not then, underline the Verb.

_______1. Your presence is a present to the world.
_______2. Everybody want to invest friendship.
_______3. A number of young people succeed in life because of perseverance.
_______4. The students, including the teacher, believe in friendship as a good investment.
_______5. Ms. Alana, together with her children, believe in friendship as a good investment.
Pick out the Conjunctions used and classify its kind.

1. Our country is poor because the government engages in liberalization policies. ____________________
2. The assumption that the Filipinos are blessed is really felt by only a few. ____________________________
3. They will not experience hunger if people work hard. _____________________________________________
4. Daddy plays the guitar and mommy sings the song beautifully. ___________________________________
5. We planned to have a picnic but the weather doesn’t allow us to. ________________________________

IX. REFLECTION

1. Which part of this module strucked you most? Why?

2. Are there important points you learned from this module? Why did you consider it as important?


1 comment:

Bollywoodsiyappa said...

Pikashow Review with details
Pikashow Review with details
Pikashow Apk is the perfect app for you if your goal is to stream videos and then save them to your phone.